34As an exercise in bringing the awareness in full to each day, no matter where I found myself, I devised a process which involved several elements.
By noon every day, I selected through various means, a ‘word’ for the day.
At times the word reflected perhaps an aspect (history/ geography/ society) of the place that I was visiting, or from something I had read.
After some time, the word generally arose from some need to concentrate on something of an abstract nature.
Once the word ‘happened’, it would feel that it could only be that particular one.
I would then relate that word to 7 different ‘subjects’ throughout the day.(the day is then observed through that word on 7 counts)
1) something learnt or witnessed.
2) someone encountered where there was even a momentary connection.
3) something absurd or humorous
4) some synchronicity
5) an object
6) a sound / music/ smell/ taste. Intrinsic to the place
7) impulse…by way of creating a post card sized collage.
‘2×3’ is double sided and designed to hang as a group, each one is 61 x 61cm [ images 1-9]
‘X9’ are double sided works created to combine the arbitrary image within a geometric context [images 10-19]